Cali-kale Caesar with Grilled Chicken, Avocado, and Cherry Tomatoes – Recipe by Bob Blumer
Cali-kale Caesar with Grilled Chicken, Avocado, and Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 anchovies (or 1 heaping teaspoon anchovy paste) + 1 tablespoon anchovy oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons light olive oil, or sunflower, safflower or canola oil
- 1 egg yolk*
- 1 large bunch Tuscan black kale (aka cavolo nero, lacinato kale, dinosaur kale), stemmed and chiffonade.
- 1 cup fried breadcrumbs
- ½ cup (about 2 ounces) freshly grated Parmegiano-Reggiano
- 1 grilled chicken breast or 2 thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ large avocado, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, ideally yellow, stemmed
- To a blender, add garlic, anchovy, anchovy oil, Dijon, lemon juice, Worcestershire, vinegar, salt and pepper. Purée. With the blender on, very slowly drizzle in oil. After oil is incorporated, add yolk and pulse a few times. Taste for salt, acid balance and seasonings, and adjust if desired. Reserve.
- To a large bowl, add the kale, half of the dressing, fried bread crumbs (holding back a bit to garnish), and the Parmigiano (holding back a bit to garnish). Toss and add more dressing as needed until greens are well dressed, but not too wet. Add chicken, avocado and tomatoes. Toss again. Finish with a dusting of Parmigiano and breadcrumbs. Serve immediately.
Raw eggs should not be served to anyone over 100 years old, or to anyone with a compromised immune system.
- Cooking time < 30 minutes
- Yield serves 2 as an entrée